Date issued: 3rd August 2020
Issued by: The Executive, Heritage Care
Issued to: Residents, Families, Staff, Contractors at Epping Gardens, Heritage Care
Purpose: To provide all stakeholders with information about COVID-19 at Epping Gardens and our responses. These updates will be provided when there are changes to the situation at Epping Gardens.
Heritage Care pass on our deepest sympathies to all those family, friends and our staff who, through their day to day work, formed emotional connectiveness to all those who have passed.
We can confirm:
• 90 residents have now tested positive for COVID-19 (three more than yesterday)
• 48 staff have now tested positive for COVID-19 (three more than yesterday)
• 27 residents are on-site at Epping, 10 of whom are COVID-19 positive.
We are now (and have been) hand washing residents who are COVID positive. The wash is performed in the bathroom or the bed depending on the residents wishes and their physical health. A shower is not being offered to these residents as it potentially increases the risk of infection to their carer.
We have been trying to call all families over the last week to provide a personal update for the care of your loved one. For those of you with loved ones in hospital, we are attempting to contact the hospital prior to calling you so we can provide additional information, although this is not possible in all cases. If we have not been able to get through to you, please call reception and we will arrange a call back from a registered nurse.
There is now a dedicated number for phone transfers to resident rooms. To use, plese dial (03) 9219 8888 and enter the phone extension of the room you wish to speak to. The phone extensions are:
- “6” and the room number for residents on the first (top) floor
- “7” and the room number for residents on the ground floor
- e.g. Ground floor room 1 is extension 701. First floor room 1 is extension 601.
- If you are unsure of the room number, you can instead call our main number and reception will transfer you.
A reminder that we have dedicated staff available for zoom/skype calls (or even telephone calls). If you would like to arrange a zoom call with your loved one, please call reception at Epping Gardens.
The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) free services support older people and their representatives to address issues related to Commonwealth funded aged care services. Should you wish to be connected with an advocate, you can reach OPAN on 1800 237 981.